In the United Methodist Church, Confirmation refers to the decision a person makes to respond to God’s grace with intentional commitment, publicly reaffirming his or her baptismal vows / affirmation of faith before the congregation.
Participants of Confirmation Class are called confirmands; usually they are youth between the ages of eleven and fourteen (grade 7th and above). During this time of intentional preparation (Confirmation Classes), confirmand study covers learning about and discussions on:
- the meaning of our Christian faith and the student’s own growing faith
- God’s prevenient grace
- the use of scripture/reason/experience/tradition in understanding life and making life decisions
- the teaching and witness of parents and other persons of faith
- an explanation of the baptismal and membership vows they will be professing
- the history and teachings and The United Methodist Church
- these teachings and life together in the church
Confirmation is a significant step in the journey of faith by a young person. It is an experience of learning, service, fellowship and growing in faith. Baptism is that point where parents of a child say “yes” to God and the church on behalf of their child. Confirmation is when that youth says “yes” to God for themselves. In other words, the confirmand is taking responsibility for living as a member of the body of Christ and for fulfilling God’s purposes.
Confirmation does not mark an ending, but a beginning of one’s life in relationship with God through Jesus Christ. It is a 6-month long program, filled with learning, mission, and fun. In addition to study, this ministry also consists of a mentoring relationship with an adult as the confirmand journeys through this study period. This journey culminates in a wonderful celebration during worship in May, as the Youth claims Christ on their own.
If your child is of age and you are interested in having them participate in our annual Confirmation Class, please contact the Church Office at 631-261-5222 for a consultation with Pastor Roy Grubbs.
Come Confirm Your Faith With Us!